- 44% of victims are under age 18, 80% are under age 30
- Every 2 minutes somebody in the united states is sexually assaulted
- 54% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police
- 97% of rapists will never see the inside of a jail cell
- 38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance
MYTH: Rape is a sexual crime, impulsively committed by a man for sexual gratification.
FACT: Rape is a crime of violence and aggression. Its intent is to overpower, degrade, and humiliate the victim.
MYTH: Women provoke rape by how they behave, dress, or where they choose to go. Rape is the victim's fault.
FACT: Rape is never the victim's fault. Research proves that rapists tend to choose their victim based on their own skewed sense of vulnerability. To blame a victim is like saying, the road was so nicely paved and straight, it’s its fault I sped on it.
Be prepared to define your sexual boundaries. No means no, and you should never have to do anything that ever makes you feel at all uncomfortable. Immediately stop any sexual activities you and your partner are performing if at any point you begin to feel uncomfortable or anxious. Remember that NO MEANS NO.
SPEAK OUT! GET HELP! LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD! Remember that rape can happen to anyone, any time. Male, female, young or old. It can even happen when a husband forces to wife to have sex with him, forming marital rape.